Requirements for Certification by Reciprocity
The SCAADAC Certification Commission will accept without prejudice the following certifications and upon verification of the applicant’s education, clinical supervision hours and passing scores on accepted written and oral examinations will award the applicant with the appropriate South Carolina Addictions Counselor Certification.
• Applicant must submit proof of current certification/licensure as follows (must remain current until awarded SCAADAC certification):
- NCAC I, II or MAC;
- IC&RC clinical counselor certification; or
- Any State Addictions Certification or License that utilizes either the NAADAC or ICRC written exam.
• Completed application for certification (*Include written request for reciprocity)
• Check made payable to SCAADAC for $175 if sent with a copy of a valid NAADAC membership card or $225 non-refundable application fee
• Bachelor’s Degree or higher in a Human Services Field. Official transcript should be sent directly to the South Carolina Association of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors from a regionally accredited college or university. Other education hours must be listed on the Education Verification Form with copies of certificates and/or other verification attached.
• Documentation of eligibility for certification:
- 2 years or 4000 hours experience in the past five years for ADC*
- 4 years or 8000 hours experience in the past five years for AADC*
(*Work experience must be verified by current and/or previous employers on official letterhead and should specify dates of employment, full-time or part-time status, job title and that job duties were in Domains of addictions counseling.)
- 270 clock hours training in the counseling Domains for ADC
- 450 clock hours training in the counseling Domains for AADC
• Evaluator’s Statement requested from a current supervisor who must be certified in addictions
(must be in a sealed and signed envelope.)
• Proof of 200 hours of Clinical Supervision.
• Official job description for present position enclosed (must be signed by applicant and employer)
• Read the Code of Ethics provided in this manual. Sign the Affirmation of Code of Ethics and Assurance and Release as provided in this application.
• Proof of having passed a written exam (official test scores)
• Proof of having passed an oral exam (see eligibility) (for bachelor’s level?)
If the applicant cannot document having passed an oral exam, then the following items must be submitted and a SCAADAC oral interview passed:
• Narrative Philosophy of Addictions Treatment enclosed
• Sample Case File
Requirements for Certification by Other Licensure Reciprocity
The SCAADAC Certification Commission will accept for certification (Certified Addictions Counselor I or Certified Addictions Counselor II) licensed mental health professionals who have been practicing AOD counseling full-time (see year requirements below) provided the applicant can show proof of current SC State licensure, fifty (50) hours of Alcohol and Other Drug specific clinical supervision and all of the following requirements must be met; otherwise the applicant will need to qualify under current certification application requirements:
Applicant must submit proof of current South Carolina state licensure as follows:
- Licensed Professional Counselor Licensed Social Worker
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist Licensed Psychologist
- Licensed Psychiatrist Licensed Psychiatric Nurse
- Other Licensed Mental Health Counselor
Completed application for certification
Non-refundable application fee $175 (members) $225 (non-members). Fees may be paid by check payable to SCAADAC or debit/credit at www.scaadac.org.
Requested transcript(s) sent directly to the South Carolina Association of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselors from a regionally accredited college, university or training institution. Other education hours must be listed on the Education Verification Form with copies of certificates and/or other verification attached.
Documentation of eligibility for certification:
- 1 year full time or 2,000 hours experience in the past year for ADC
- 2 years full time or 4,000 hours of experience in the past 3 years for AADC
- Documentation of 50 hours of clinical supervision by Certified Addictions Counselor
- Supervision within the last two years
Documentation of 6 hours training in Professional Ethics for counselors
Documentation of 3 hours training in HIV/ AIDS issues for counselors
Evaluator’s Statement requested from a current supervisor who must be certified in addictions
(must be in a sealed and signed envelope.)
Official job description for present position enclosed (must be signed by employee and employer)
Read the Code of Ethics provided in this manual. Sign the Affirmation of Code of Ethics and Assurance and Release as provided in this application.
Narrative Philosophy of Addictions Treatment enclosed (needed for those with master’s degree)
Sample Case File (needed for those with master’s degree?)
Passed Written Exam